Tuesday 18 May 2010

Ready, steady, edit!

Today will be mostly spent editing, printing research, (hopefully) printing my recently edited photos and scanning in the negatives that I processed yesterday. I used 120 Black and White film, they seem to have turned out really well. I was panicking a little the other day since both studios are now unusable due to the smaller one being filled with tables, chairs and other random things and the bigger studio is being turned into an exhibition space. 2/3 mac suites have also been dismantled and only one remains. There's a definite atmosphere of stress and chaos in the air and I think I'm picking up on that too. I'll be glad when this week is over. I'll be more or less free for 3 months then :)

So far I've edited 5 photos, and I'm about to edit some more. I don't think that's too bad for just over an  hours work. If I keep the pace up I should be able to have some free time tomorrow. It's what I'm aiming for.

I've also recently learnt that I really, really need an external harddrive. A big one. I'm looking into getting a TB or 1.5TB worth of storage. I've got over 10 DVDs full of images. That's easily 30GB+ of images to sort though while hoping they don't end up corrupting. Thankfully I don't have to edit them all, I'm just choosing the best ones. I'll try and print some contact pages though just to show my tutors/markers how much work I did. They like that kind of thing.

I find it strange to think that another academic year has flown by under my nose. At this rate I'll be 30 before I wake up tomorrow. Each year goes by faster, and each year I realise how important it is to grab opportunities with both hands before they slip you by, if you want them. If you don't make an effort to live your life, then nobody will live it for you.

Right, back to work!

UPDATE: I've printed all my research (yay!) and now need to cut it out, stick it in and annotate. Fairly easy. Then I've got to edit some more photos ready for printing tomorrow, thursday and friday. I also have to edit down each photoshoot to include the best from the several images taken to include as a contact sheet, and then choose from those which ones I want to digitally manipulate and tidy up in photoshop. They then get printed out on A3 paper on a special printer in college which is pretty awesome. I'm just thankful that my screen is colour calibrated already, means I can hopefully avoid the repetitive printing out, scrutinising and printing out again cycle that takes hours. To be fair though, that was me panicking trying to get it just right for a customer. I'll be aiming for the same high quality, but it won't be nearly as stressful as last time.

No comments:

Post a Comment