Friday, 14 May 2010

...and breathe

So I've gotten the BA1 fashion shoots done. Now the editing begins and I can concentrate more fully on finishing my project for next Friday. Only one person hasn't picked up their images, I'm not too sure why. I've got things to do though so they know where they can find me. It puzzles me that they'd want images and then not bother to collect them when the deadline is today. Oh well. I was getting pretty confused yesterday as I was being asked by everybody for their images and ended up giving one person the wrong images. It was because she'd done the hair on the model so I thought she'd wanted it because of that. It was soon sorted out :) I almost missed the bus yesterday and caught it just as it was pulling away. I'd have gotten there sooner but my laptop had decided that it wanted to swallow a DVD-RW at a crucial moment. After trying to launch terminal (and failing) and threatening the computer (don't we all? :P ) it finally let go and gave it back.

I got some really good images over the course of the day, and I enjoyed doing it. I'm glad I was able to help so many people and I hope they all make good use of the images. I saw some printed today, and though I know I took the images and am confident in my abilities and their quality it's funny to think that it was indeed me who took them. Seeing them printed is so different to seeing them on a screen. It was a great feeling :D

Something worth noting is the camera I ended up using yesterday due to my own camera dying on me. I ended up using the Canon 450D (as previously mentioned here), which belongs to Foundation. It got the job done and I got some interesting photos from it. I loved it when I was on foundation and I wanted to buy one. It's pretty much what introduced me to DSLR photography on a grander scale than the occasional use of my Mum's D70, so maybe it's just me being used to my Nikon D5000 (it's almost like an extension of me when I use it, I'm very familiar with it now) but I really didn't like using the 450D at all yesterday. The controls were all over the place, the light changed often and it couldn't cope, the white balance was all over the place....I think 50% was user error/not being used to it and 50% it being a lower end camera. It's a nice camera, but I think I'll stick to my Nikon. I'm going to buy a new battery for it soon to avoid a repeat of yesterday. Also, I packed my charger today! I probably won't need it but it's a good habit to form. Eventually my D5000 will become my backup camera and I'll upgrade to a D700 sometime around the end of second year. I used one once and I love it. I'd like the D3X but the price difference is something I'm not too sure I can justify. At least with the D700 I can take full frame images and afford some kick-ass lenses at the same time. Lenses is where it's all at anyway. My 50mm would finally be able to autofocus with the D700 too :D

As a side note, my Spyder USB plug has finally arrived in Switzerland. I'm hoping to get my brand new replacement Spyder in the post within the next couple of weeks. Hopefully this one will work.

No comments:

Post a Comment